Oh happy happy Friday! Thank goodness!!
Here’s a quick photo I had Brent snap last night after I got home from work. It still gets dark so early that I’m finding it difficult to take advantage of natural light in photos during the week. But we trekked outside anyway to grab a quick photo and the whole time Brent is saying “Quit moving - your making the shot blurry!” and I’m saying “Your clicking them too fast… I think YOU’RE making them blurry” and we just gave up after about 20 shots and this was the only decent one of the bunch. (Special shout out to my husband for putting up with my blog demands)
But BEHOLD!! - Do you see that bump? At dinner my friends were like “UMM THAT WAS NOT THERE A WEEK AGO!!!” and it’s true. Little mister must have done some serious shifting and rearranging in my belly because my back and sciatic pain has all but gone away and all of the sudden I’ve got this out-of-no-where belly to show for it. I’d much rather have it this way, so no complaints from me.
And now to completely change directions (like 180 degrees - so random, I know)
I want to take a second and say please, please make sure that you are up to date on infant/child CPR & the heimlich maneuver. Make sure that anyway who keeps your children- grandparents, friends, babysitters - whomever - make sure they know it too!
We were enjoying a quiet evening at home the other night, all of us munching away on dinner when Everly began to choke on a piece of bread. Not just gagging or coughing a bit like she occasionally does, but no air coming out, face turning red, panic choking. I’ve never ripped a high chair apart faster. Within a second, Brent had grabbed her, turned her upside down on his palm and hit her on the back to dislodge the food.
She started coughing and gagging and a few seconds later threw up a big chunk of food mixed with saliva and mucus. Just thinking about it now brings tears to my eyes. It was seriously one of the scariest moments of my life.
When I was four years old, I nearly choked to death on a bite of hot dog. At the time, my mother did not know the heimlich and after trying to dig the food out of my mouth with her hands, she screamed to my dad who was outside working in our yard. Dad knew the heimlich and after a few attempts was able to get it up. I remember the entire thing very vividly and because of it, I’ve always carried a lingering fear of having a child choke while in my care.
I am so incredibly grateful that Brent was able to quickly and calmly get the food out of Everly’s airway. Truthfully, he was a lot more calm about the situation than I was. She cried for a short time and then went about her night playing and carrying on like nothing had happened but it took hours before our nerves calmed down.
If you are unable to take a class on infant and child CPR, the internet is a great resource. You can watch youtube videos such as this and this to show you what to do. You just never know when and if a situation will occur when you will need to use it.
And now that this post has become an emotional rollercoaster of frivilous small talk and really important life saving skills, I wish you all a very safe and enjoyable weekend.