Letters to My Children
Ten of my greatest hopes for each you…
1. That your father and I instill in both of you a love of education and books and seeking knowledge. Read everything. Fill your head with philosophies and history and science. Education is one of the few things in life that can never be taken away from you.
2. Travel the world. Experience as many different countries and cultures as possible. Take every opportunity to go and do and see!
3. Seek out your passions. Grow them! Be they music, art, dance, sports… whatever! You are capable of reaching whatever goal you can dream up. Invest in yourself and your talents.
4. Do not be afraid to speak up when you feel something is unfair, unjust or harmful. We are all deserving of kindness. There is no cause or difference worthy of belittling or bullying others. Doing the right thing is not always the popular thing, but it will always be worth it.
5. I hope that one day you know what it feels like to love another person with all of your heart. Take your time (lots and lots of time!). Don’t rush into matters of the heart. Enjoy your youth and be carefree but when you’re ready, loving someone else faithfully and completely will be one of the greatest gifts of your life.
6. And along those same lines, I hope that you know what it feels like to be loved by another with all of their heart. When you do fall in love, make sure that person is willing to give the same to you. You are worth the effort. True love is an equal partnership.
7. May your heartbreaks in life be minimal. They will happen. And they can feel so consuming and paralyzing but know that they are part of your story. The hurt will shape you and it will make you a wiser, better person. Sometimes, the bravest thing you can do is allow yourself to be vulnerable.
8. Have a group of friends who will be loyal and encouraging. Over the course of your life you will hold so many different friendships - some of them good and some of them detrimental. Don’t waste time on anyone who is not good to you. Let the lessons from all of these relationships allow you to build a circle of friends who will always be there to stand with you in the highest and lowest moments of your life.
9. No matter what happens to you, remember that your father and I are here to care for you and guide you and support you. Even if we disagree with you, don’t ever be afraid to come to us for help. We may not always have the answer or the means, but we’ll be in it together. Our love for you is without limits or conditions and it will always be that way.
10. And lastly, the most important hope of all. Never forget that faith in and love for Jesus Christ is all you need. Above the love of a partner, the friendship of your peers, even your family. Let Him be the north star that guides your life.
When I think of your future, my mama heart can barely contain the hope it holds for you. You are so small now, but the days are moving fast and I am taking every opportunity to be purposeful and open about my dreams for you. But these words are just that … my dreams… merely a launching pad for the possibilities of your life. Who will you become? What will you achieve? Only time will reveal those things. I am certain that the very best thing I will ever do in my life has already begun. In whatever you accomplish, you will be my greatest legacy.
- cinematicchairs likes this
- kopiteh likes this
- brookebutler likes this
- tallgirltales likes this
- myownmelt reblogged this from dearbaby
- annieandrews likes this
- dreammorewhileiamawake reblogged this from chilese
- logielou reblogged this from dearbaby
- dodgingmirrors reblogged this from dearbaby and added:
- chilese reblogged this from dearbaby
- in-thebellyofashark likes this
- revelinfreedom reblogged this from dearbaby and added:
- revelinfreedom likes this
- withperspective likes this
- darlingchuck likes this
- dodgingmirrors likes this
- oneofourown likes this
- justaloadofmashugana likes this
- honestlybelieved likes this
- eatdrinkbemommie likes this
- lovelayneb likes this
- theladieloves likes this
- rainbowsandstuff likes this
- creamycheeese likes this
- baby-magazin reblogged this from dearbaby and added:
- elizabethmulder likes this
- the-diary-of-alexandreta likes this
- ladyreynacorn likes this
- kitnoea likes this
- 2legittwoquit likes this
- twobrosonebaby likes this
- leikeli likes this
- lovelyladykatie likes this
- songlessbutsinging likes this
- therewritingprocess likes this
- deathbycupcakes likes this
- loveismy-religion likes this
- lexywolze likes this
- gohelengo likes this
- xoxb likes this
- bobsacoolword reblogged this from dearbaby and added:
- taryntothemax likes this
- rubymary likes this
- ciaradriskell reblogged this from dearbaby
- teddybear-hugs likes this
- partyanimalliberationfront likes this
- dearkids said: so encouraging. thank you :)
- dearkids likes this
- misspatootyrants likes this
- reddirtchild likes this